Kansas State running back Daniel Thomas continued a trend for Wildcat offensive players becoming the third consecutive Wildcat named Offensive Newcomer of the Year by the Big 12 Conference. The junior standout was also one of three Wildcats to be tabbed to the all-conference first team by the league's coaches.
Thomas was joined on the first team offense by tight end Jeron Mastrud, offensive lineman Nick Stringer and kick returner Brandon Banks. Banks also was tabbed for second-team honors as a wide receiver.
The newcomer honor for Thomas followed similar awards the past two seasons by Banks (2008) and Deon Murphy (2007).
The All-Big 12 Conference football teams and individual award winners have been announced. Selections are made by the league's 12 head coaches, who are not permitted to vote for their own players.
All-Big 12 Honors Notebook:
- Colt McCoy is the fourth Texas player to be named the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year, and third UT quarterback to win the honor. Former Longhorns Vince Young (2005), Major Applewhite (1999) and Ricky Williams (1998 and 1997) previously won the award. Texas has the most Offensive Player of the Year winners in Conference history with five.
- Ndamukong Suh of Nebraska is the second Cornhusker to receive Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year honors (Grant Winstrom, 1997 and 1996). Suh is the second player in Big 12 history to receive both the Defensive Player and Lineman of the Year awards in the same season (Brian Orakpo, Texas - 2008) He is also one of two unanimous first-team selections, joining Colt McCoy.
- Mack Brown was tabbed Coach of the Year for the second time in his career (2005). Brown becomes the fourth coach in league history to win the award multiple times (Bob Stoops - OU, Bill Snyder - KSU, Frank Solich - NU).
- David Sims becomes the fourth first year Iowa State player to be recognized. He joins former Cyclones Tim Dobbins (2004) and Jess Beckom (1998) in winning Defensive Newcomer of the Year honors, to go along with Jason Berryman's Defensive Freshman of the Year award in 2003.
- Kansas State's Daniel Thomas gave the Wildcats their third straight Offensive Newcomer of the Year award winner and league-leading fourth overall. Brandon Banks and Deon Murphy were honored in 2008 and 2007, respectively, joining KSU's first honoree, Michael Bishop (1997).
- Oklahoma has won the most major awards in the 14-year history of the Big 12 with 23. Texas is next with 22 winners, followed by Kansas State (16); Nebraska (11), Iowa State and Texas Tech (7); Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri (6); Oklahoma State and Texas A&M (5) and Baylor (2).
- For the first time in Conference history all 12 teams are represented on the first-team All-Conference squad.
2009 INDIVIDUAL AWARD WINNERS
2009 ALL-BIG 12 FOOTBALL FIRST TEAM
** - Unanimous Selection
^ - Repeat first team selection from last season.
2009 ALL-BIG 12 FOOTBALL SECOND TEAM
A tie in voting created an additional second-team offensive line and defensive back spot.
# - Repeat second team selection from last season.
2009 ALL-BIG 12 HONORABLE MENTION